Friday, December 26, 2008

No more Christmas music

Well, it's December 26 and I'm officially sick of Christmas music. It's my fault, though...I made a point this year to try to get into the holidays through music. When you live in a place where December temperatures have been hovering near 80 during the day, the weather certainly doesn't help you get in the mood.

I pulled out all my Christmas CDs the day after Thanksgiving. Over the years I've accumulated quite a number, many of them promotional CDs that I received when I worked at WMNF. CDs that have crazy covers of Greensleeves mashed up with Sweet Child o Mine. CDs of alternative music artists lamely trying to make a new Christmas "classic".

I had collected quite a few mp3s and dumped them all on my ipod. Everything from the Nat King Cole to Brian Setzer to Vince Guaraldi.

Then there was Sirius/XM. Sure they had the traditional catch-all Christmas channel, but I was more impressed with the Bing Crosby Christmas channel that rebroadcast all of his old radio and TV specials over the years. Still, I can't count the number of different versions of White Christmas I heard. And not one Good King Wenceslas or God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. I was bummed.

Christmas music is done. Now on to Valentines Day music!

No comments: