Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Retro Review: The The; Soul Mining

I had resolved to do more of these "retro reviews". I've obviously haven't been very true to my word as this will only be the second one that I've done.

Still, this album is worthy of mentioning. Back when vinyl was still king, this piece of wax was on my turntable for weeks, occasionally sharing the space with Big Country (which was the other retro review I've done, cooincidentally).

If you've been near a TV within the last year, you've surely heard the "hit" off of this album, which was "This is the Day". It is prominantly used to sell those candies that melt in your mouth and not in your hand. I was actually pleasantly surprised that they used it as it's a great song and kind of an underground music staple.

Still, there are a great many songs on this album that are just as good if not better. The first side slaps you across the face with the first song, "I've Been Wiating for Tomorrow All of My Life". With its thick tribal drumbeat and angst ridden lyrics, this song was kind of a mantra for me as a brooding teenager. I was actually turned on to the album not by eiether of those songs, but by "Uncertain Smile", which used to be played on a radio show called Rock over London. It's where I learned about hip bands such as The The, Freur, and Belouis Some.

The The is/was Matt Johnson and this album was his second. I've eagerly scarfed up all his full album releases over the years, and have collected some obscure 12"s along the way as well. Still, this was and will likely always be my favorite The The album.

Learn more about The The here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Johnson_(singer)
and here: http://www.thethe.com/

No comments: