Friday, July 24, 2009

mp3 tagging

You have a bunch of mp3's that all have different naming conventions? Some file names are just the song name while others are a long string of information including the name of the music blog that it came from? Did you ever wish there was a simple way to change the file name to a format you want, and tag the mp3 with artist and song info in case it was missing or mislabeled?

The Virgo in me always did, and I have spent plenty a Sunday morning filing, organizing and renaming my mp3s in an increasing futile attempt to manage my digital music.

Well, there are several programs that will do just that, my friend. Lifehacker (one of my new favorite websites) had a article highlighting their "top 6" tools. You can read the article here.

I chose what seemed to be the most popular one, mp3tag, and have been quite happy.

For me, finding a tagging tool was truly an epiphany. So much so, I almost feel embarassed mentioning it for fear that other musically oriented people will say "Duh...I knew about that for years!"

No comments: