Thursday, September 24, 2009

Depeche Moded

I can probably count the number of truly great nights that I've DJ'ed on one, maybe two hands. A night ten years ago at Groovejet in Miami comes to mind (which I will likely blog about later), and a set I did on September 4th is definately another.

The evening started with going to see Depeche Mode in concert. I've honestly lost count of the number of times that I've seen them in concert, but that doesn't lessen the impact that each show has.

This show was punctuated by amazing visuals (which the attached iphone photos don't give justice to).

Dave Gahan's voice sounded a little weak, but it is understandable since the band has cancelled a
number of shows due to illness. My fiance and I were just happy that they showed up, since they had cancelled so many shows in the tour.

I rushed from the show to the Castle to host the Depeche Mode after party in the dungeon. The dungeon is the Castle's VIP room, and is open for special events. A Depeche Mode after party certainly qualified as a special event, and the room was packed with friends and people who were enjoying DM mixes, covers, and mashups. My friend Trey DJed with me and helped make it truly a memorable night.

The mix attached is what I handed out that night One of the tunes on the mix is actually my very first foray into making music. The tune is really nothing more than a Depeche Mode sample from Blasphemous Rumors, combined with layering canned beats and sound effects from Ableton Live. It's not anything original or special, but at least I can say it's mine. In the future I hope to invest more time in making music and risking ridcule by posting them online.

You can download the mix

tracklist:
1 depeche mode - everything counts intro (0:14)
2 loo and placido - still losing myself (3:14)
3 depeche mode and eurythmics - policy of sweet dreams (5:10)
4 señor dick - blasphemer (toxic chinese drywall mix) (1:40)
5 depeche mode - personal jesus (boys noize rework) (6:46)
6 depeche mode - wrong (thin white duke remix) (7:24)
7 depeche mode - told you so (mod axiom mix) (6:50)
8 depeche mode - enjoy the silence (rob dust remix) (6:09)
9 depeche mode - behind the wheel (lexicon ave remix) (7:33)
10 depeche mode - precious (matt crofford remix) (6:30)
11 depeche mode - peace (silinder remix) (7:01)
12 depeche mode vs new order - strange love triangle (6:55)

No comments: