Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baby's first playlist

My wife and I have welcomed a new life into the world. It has been a joyous exhilarating and tiring experience. Through it all, I knew I wanted to expose him to music even at the earliest age, even in a sterile environment like a hospital. Thanks to technology that has been an easy task.

Pandora radio through the iphone has been a godsend while trapped in the hospital. Pandora allows you to create a "station" from any artist or song you like, playing songs similar in style to that which you've chosen. There are also genre specific stations. I started with a couple of different genres, settling into an ambient/lullaby station for most of the time in the hospital. In fact, some of baby's first songs he heard out of the womb included:

Thievery corporation. Treasures
Underworld. Two months off
Sasha - Wavy gravy
Stereo mcs - Connected
Clash - Should I stay or should I go?
Pixies - Wave of mutilation
Sex pistols - God save the queen

Another source of music has been the Rockabye Baby series, featuring lullaby renditions of songs from the Cure, Nirvana, the Pixies, the Beatles, U2 and more. We're planning on putting all of them on an ipod and playing them as he sleeps.

No comments: