Friday, February 26, 2010

The lost 80's

Playing music at the Castle almost every week is, for the most part, a joy. Last week, a pretty woman approached me requesting 80's music, a genre I play sparingly for several reasons. The main reason is that I lived through it and I've heard all the new wave classics so many times I'm sick of them. Instead, I try to play remixes. So when I played a remix of an 80s song instead of the original, she almost got belligerent. I know I shouldn't be so critical or elitist as this girl looked young enough that

The end result is that it set me on a nostalgia trip of 80's music that is simply no longer heard. Not at clubs. Not on 80s retro shows. Not even on Sirius XM. Perhaps on internet radio stations such as flashback alternatives

My vinyl collection is one way to feed that nostalgia fix. Another way these days is youtube. I'm thankful that there are enough people out there with enough spare time on their hands to upload music videos that I haven't seen in years, if not decades. Below are a few songs I discovered on my last trip.

Bourgeous Tagg- Mutual Surrender

You may know this band from their Beatles-esque song "I Don't Mind". This one came first and I liked it better.



Pseudo Echo - Listening

Before this Aussie band had a new wave semi-hit with a cover version of Lipps Inc's Funkytown, they This particular song actually got a rockier face lift on their second album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrJKmrOo2s


The Models - Out of Mind out of sight

This was the only song I knew this song from them...I liked the horns. Another Aussie band....props to nzoz you has several youtube channels devoted to Kiwi and Aussie 80s music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7dnvxvcGRc

Love and Money - Candybar Express

Somewhere on a tape I had the Models song and this tune back to back, therefore they will always be that way in my mind. Plus they both sound similar to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSKTbnWCj7I

The next time I have a hankering for some obscure 80s I'll be sure to share.

1 comment:

DJ Ed said...

Thanks for mentioning Flashback Alternatives. We strive to be unique in that while we play the classics, we also play the deep, obscure, and rare tracks that no one else plays.

We are constantly adding music to our library - so if a track is not in our library today, shoot us an e-mail and we'll do our best to add it.

Thanks again for the mention.